Monday, January 27, 2014

Strawberry And Currant Creek

Saturday morning saw me up at 5 in the AM for the second weekend in three weeks. My destination was Strawberry Reservoir again, and I took along my fishing buddy Colby, and tried to indoctrinate a newcomer to angling with this sport.

It was about nine degrees when we pulled up to the reservoir just as the sun was peeking over the mountains. Strawberry valley is such a gorgeous place, especially covered in snow.



I busted out the hand auger and got to drilling holes, and then we plopped some worms down and got to fishing. Strawberry has been really hit and miss lately, and Saturday was a big miss. The only fish we caught in our 6 hours there as a 19 inch Bear Lake cutthroat. 


This guy was released, per the slot limits. He also managed to break my spare ice fishing rod as he was hauled up out of the hole! According to my spring scale, this fish came in right at 2.5 pounds. Decent sized fish.

After 6 hours on Strawberry and only one fish, we decided to pack up and try for another lake. Currant Creek was the closest, so we headed up there hoping to get into some actual action.


This valley never disappoints either, when it comes to beauty. 


We didn't get much action here, either. Only one 15 inch, 2 pound rainbow rewarded us for our efforts in the frigid air.


It was a slow, long day of fishing, but it was relaxing and enjoyable all the same. The people I took with me caught fish, which is really all that matters at the end of the day.

My next target is going to be Fish Lake. I'm hoping to get down there in the next few weeks, and I may end up going for bass down in Sand Hollow reservoir as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment