Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thousand Lake Mountain Trip

I'd needed to get away badly these last few weeks, and I was searching for a place to fish that was remote but not under a lot of snow. Luckily, after talking with a good friend of mine, I settled on fishing what's accessible on Thousand Lake Mountain right now.

So Friday afternoon, I loaded up my gear and made the 3.5 hour drive into this beautiful country.
I was lucky to get in with good weather. I pitched my tent, gathered some firewood, cooked dinner, then immediately began fishing. After messing around with some Marabou jigs and different baits, I tied on the ever-trusty Jake's lure. Sure enough, my first cast resulted in a fish!

Not exactly the size of fish I was after, but a fish is a fish nonetheless, and I was happy to hook this one. Even though he was small, I got a lot of fight out of him. In fact, every fish I pulled in Friday night fought like a trophy sized trout! 

I kept catching these beefy rainbow trout all night long. Every Cutt I pulled in was proportioned just about what you'd expect for 8-11 inch trout. However, these Bows all had huge bulging bellies! This is a good sign, as it means  this lake is full of food and supports a good stable population of trout through the winter months. 

A lot of the Bows I pulled in were just beautifully colored. 

As the night progressed, I kept catching fish all in this same range. I knew that some bigger ones existed, it was only a matter of finding out exactly where

After I caught 20 fish, I lost count for the night. Right as the sun dipped below the mountains to the west, I managed to wrangle in this beauty of a Cutthroat. 

Absolutely gorgeous coloration! The odd thing about this catch, though, was how it took it. I was pulling the Jake's in along the shoreline, no more than 10 feet out. My lure can't have been more than 7 feet from shore when I saw a big dark shape following it. I slowed up for a second, gave my Jake's a little action, and the Cutt nailed it! Immediately, my drag started whining and this guy took off into deeper water. After a few minutes, I tuckered him out and landed him. I had to take multiple pictures, because I couldn't believe how pretty he was!
After that catch, I fished for a little while longer until dark, only catching smaller fish as before. The next morning, I made a short hike into another lake near where I was camped. 

On my first cast, I pulled in this nice Tiger. 


Easily, the best fishing of the trip! I fished that lake for another hour without a single bite, then decided it was time to get heading home. I took a few shots of the breathtaking views on my way out.




All in all, this trip was great, and exactly what I needed to get ready for fishing Boulder as soon as the roads are open! 








2 comments:

  1. How did I miss that you had a blog? Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started it a few months ago, and I usually only update it with notable fish. I get out most every day and fish, but I'm usually catching small browns and bows on local streams. Thanks man!
      By the way, we gotta get out and get some fishing done here soon.

      Delete